Democrats within the Senate are gearing as much as struggle President Donald Trump’s nominee to the Supreme Courtroom, U.S. Circuit Decide Brett Kavanaugh. They argue he’s not solely a possible menace to abortion rights, but in addition to the Reasonably priced Care Act.
In the meantime, the Trump administration continues its efforts to undermine the workings of the Reasonably priced Care Act. This week, officers introduced a freeze on funds to insurers who enroll massive numbers of sicker sufferers, and one other minimize to the finances for “navigators” who assist individuals perceive their insurance coverage choices and enroll for protection.
This week’s panelists for KHN’s “What the Well being?” are:
Julie Rovner of Kaiser Well being Information
Margot Sanger-Katz of The New York Occasions
Anna Edney of Bloomberg Information
Julie Appleby of Kaiser Well being Information
Among the many takeaways from this week’s podcast:
- One motive Democrats are rallying across the well being subject relatively than the abortion subject is that there’s extra unity of their caucus over well being than abortion. Additionally, the 2 key Republican senators who assist abortion rights — Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) — additionally voted towards GOP efforts to repeal the Reasonably priced Care Act final 12 months.
- The Trump administration’s motion on risk-adjustment funds despatched yet one more sign to insurers that the federal authorities doesn’t essentially have their backs and is keen to alter the principles alongside the way in which.
- The Trump administration says it desires to chop to funds for navigators as a result of they don’t seem to be cost-effective. However the navigator cash doesn’t come from taxpayers or authorities sources. It’s paid from insurance coverage business consumer charges. These funds additionally go to assist ACA promoting — which has additionally been minimize. Nevertheless, the consumer charges haven’t been lowered. In principle, lowering these charges might present financial savings that may very well be handed on to customers.
- After being known as out on Twitter by Trump, drugmaker Pfizer this week introduced it could delay some already-announced value will increase on about 100 of its medicine. It’s value noting that the president used his bully pulpit and gained some success. The six-month delay will imply that buyers is not going to expertise a rise in price on the pharmacy for at the least that point interval. However it nonetheless raises questions.
- The Trump administration labored to dam a World Well being Group decision to advertise breastfeeding. However whereas this appeared a transparent case of selling the pursuits of toddler method firms over public well being consultants, there was pushback from some ladies who say they’re unable to breastfeed and really feel stigma once they go for method as a substitute. Then again, method may be harmful in creating nations with out quick access to wash water.
Plus, for “further credit score,” the panelists suggest their favourite well being tales of the week they assume it is best to learn, too:
Julie Rovner: Politico Agenda’s “The One Massive Winner of the Obamacare Wars,” by Joanne Kenen
Julie Appleby: The New York Occasions’ “Physician, Your Affected person Is Ready. It’s a Pink Panda,” by Karen Weintraub.
Anna Edney: Politico’s “CMS Stop Check of Dear Most cancers Remedy Amid Issues Over Trade Position,” by Sarah Karlin-Smith and David Pittman
Margot Sanger-Katz: HuffPost’s “Trump Administration Could Be Making ready A New Obamacare Sabotage Effort,” by Jonathan Cohn
To listen to all our podcasts, click on right here.